Friday, September 5, 2008

The Objectivity of Selfishness


"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction."

- Ayn Rand

This is a statement that makes me think after the sessions over the last two days and it really does. I have never known that selfishness could perhaps be a virtue.

And this made me look up the meaning of selfish in the dictionary. It says, 'Concerned chiefly or only with oneself'...

And now I think that if it is actually what the definition says, it is MAYBE, not a bad thing. Afterall, be a judge yourself and say, which part of the statement exudes negativity? None actually...so what makes it bad? What would make it bad is when you do the above at the cost of someone else, overstepping someone's interests for your own such that it leads to their downfall.

Stop. Pause. Think.

Spare a minute and you will realise that there is, probably, no greater service than service to self. Because an unhappy soul is not the agent of happiness to the outside world. He can not be.

This thought actually compelled me to read Ayn Rand's Virtue of Selfishness...

Maybe, yet another selfish pursuit to the need for an introspective today!!!

1 comment:

Anil P said...

Selfishness rarely makes sense unless touched by another's.

Like everything that is momentary, it is the moment that justifies it, and it is the moment that condemns it.

Until then, live the moment.