Monday, January 21, 2008

Mindless chatter of a Monday morning

It simply amazes me! On a rather nippy (cold it was) winter morning, this bunch of women, dressed snazzily [worth a mention the attire: two of them in sleeveless tops and the other in a simple full sleeved shirt!], chirping away at the main entrance to my rather dominating office building.

Getting off the car, i grant them a half hearted look. Trying to manage the three large ( it surprises me how women carry "purses" that measure no longer than my finger span. But that's another story) bags I carry (one is for the laptop, one is for all the other things other women need to carry as well and the third for the food, which probably is the largest of them all and being a Punju it shudn't even surprise anyone) and the access card (most important in this 'high security office' which is perenially at risk) and the damn turnstiles which make more nuisance than any sense, I just about managed to stand upright on my two rather pretty feet in 4 inch heels (THAT is another story. Not that I need heels owing to my decent-ish height but it does impart a secret pleasure with men who stand at 5 ft nothing looking up at you. Whatever happened to tall dark handsome). While I bravely shoulder the burden of the universe on my dainty shoulders, I can't help but overhear their converstaion (of the three women, remember this is about them who might have gotten lost in my endless rambling about trivial pursuits of my lilfe).

Anyhow, back to the conversation..it starts with a reference to some sale at M- Block market where the women saw some really "cool" stuff with faux fur on it!! I couldn't help but recoil at the talk..It is a Monday morning. The weekend hangover is still not gone. And it is freezing at 5 degree celcius. And amidst all this, these women find the time and the will to brave the odds
(read cold) and discuss mundane things which are even beyond the trivialities, and all this in practically non existent clothes!! I am just surprised. And then....it hit me. I was actually surprised at myself for finding this conversation ridiculous. Not long ago while in college, the sales and their talks were indeed what 'bonded' practically everyone in the class, even those you try your best to ignore! And then.. I just grew up from one Monday to another. The mindlessness of their talk actually made me think. The pseudo intellectualism that pervades our society and mocks at Himesh Reshammiya and the aunties in strange clothes is completely turning a blind eye to the popular culture. Not that I like either of the two but then again, I wouldn't have baulked at these women talking about strange things in strange clothes on a maniacal Monday morning a few years back.

I just about pull myself to my room and dump the stuff. I sat back and thought over a cup of Hot Mocha from Costa about the things that this morning has offered and what lies in store. Well, am back to my weekend (and the weekend years) having moved over the maniacal Monday.

3 comments:

Malesh Ponnusamy said...

How you view "certain things" in life as time goes by is interesting. With the "certain thing" being constant throughout, makes it all the more fun whn you observe it!

I enjoyed your style of writing and choice of words. I happen to stumble upon your blog from the land of wimp.

Ruchi Mann said...

@ finding thyself:
you are rather generous with complments :)

Malesh Ponnusamy said...

I like the way people capture passing moments of one's life in a simplistic form of words with an underlying humor in it.

Guess not everybody can do that well.