Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It's you who sets me free

I often ask myself
Who is it that I really am
The face that stares back
Is familiar, but is it really me

I often ask myself
If I really know
Who is it that hides beneath
Who is it that scrapes the surface sometimes

I often ask myself
And then I hear
A faint, very faint voice
That says “You are me”

I often ask myself
What that means
Who could it be
Who dwells within me

I often ask myself
If I heard that before
If I know the face that smiles
Back every time I peep

And then I hear it again
That voice
That look
That says “Here I am”

“Look no further
For it’s me
Look at me
Just look at me”

I turn back to see
It’s you
You, who have been within
You, who have always given

You are what makes me who I am
You are what tells me it’s not a sham
You are what makes me smile at the thought of love
You are what tells me it’s not just a thought

And then I know
Just like that
It’s you
It’s always been

From deep within, you have held me
Close so that I don’t fall apart
From deep within myself
You have given me what I could never ask

I look back at myself
To see that glint in ‘your’ eye
That tells me it’s you
Telling me you knew

I talk again
And I hear
That faint whisper that says
Nothing but echoes what I want to hear

You are me
I am you
I am who
You always knew

You knew when I didn’t
You knew what it meant
Love was never easy
But you made it

With you within
I know why they say
It’s not everyday
You find someone

Who knows you as you are
As you would want to be
Who knows when you smile
And why you cry

And now with every smile
I know it’s you
That makes me shed that tear
To tell me to value a smile

And with every sob
I know it’s you
Telling me not to forget
What pain can do

With every tear and every smile
I know it’s you
And without that
I don’t know what I would do

I am thankful
To every look and
And every echo that says
“You are me”

4 comments:

Arpit Higgins said...

Who m i?
I'm totally confused.. :)

Mayank said...

wonderfully wonderful. leaves me with nothing in the mouth, a glint in the eye, and a smile on the face. (dont evn ask abt the heart) :)

p.s. the style of writing it is soooo...nice! i am so glad to see someone who KNOWS that poem writing is NOT always about making it rhyme! thanks for that!

Ruchi Mann said...

@Arpit:
You are a confused man who knows how to rhyme poems and makes promises of taking people to Moets, only never to fulfil them :)


@DumD:
:) Thank You Thank you.
As for the rhymes....mmmm....it's not that I don't..it's just that I CAN'T!!! No matter how hard I try :)
So u see..

Mayank said...

If that is the case, then I for one, m grateful to God for it! That you cant rhyme! :) As i said, its such a relief seeing somebody write absolutely brilliant stuff that DOES NOT RHYME. :)

Keep writing! You are an inspiration.