Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Oye Lucky, By Chance

The cynics might kill me for the proclamation but I do think that Indian cinema has finally come of age!! And this I am not saying because I had a dream wherein the Gods of cinema came avisiting and threatened me with my life if I didn't say this. I am saying this because the last few movies that I have seen, some of those have been really good. On one hand we had Oye Lucky, Lucky Oye and now we have Luck by Chance (yeah yeah we also had Rab Ne...and I loved it...but still..). Movies that are redefining the stretch of Indian movie makers. Movies that are gripping and are actually making it seem more like an editors' and the directors' world than the six pack actors or the petite actresses. Okay, if not so drastic, atleast a world where they can co-exist!! So, we have the little known Neeraj Pandey as the star of the Screen Award and not the smashing Hrithik Roshan or the homely Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Quite a change, wouldn't you agree?

Anyhow, coming to the point that actually led me to make this one. I saw Luck By Chance over the weekend. And oh-my-God!!! What a movie. It was great and I think, as far as I'm concerned, it puts Farhan Akhtar leagues ahead of the other actors (barring Shah Rukh ofcourse :D) . That guy talks through his eyes...no over the top dialogues, no rona dhona, no slapstick. He is the actual 'hero' of a modern thinking woman!! And Konkona, as always is a treat to watch. Again, no rona dhona, no skimpy outfits shouting look-at-me. Just restrained performances through and through!!

The movie on the whole was a great treat. Everyone from 'rolly' polly Rishi Kapoor to the cool, breezy and 'minty' Juhi Chawla to the sexy siren like Dimple Kapadia and the dancing diva Isha, everyone captures your attention when in the frame. Even the loud Rishi Kapoor character does not look tacky. It seems so-made-for-the-character.

Some scenes (and characters) that really stood out for me are below:
  • The car scene with Hrithik Roshan. It beautifully highlights the starkness of the two worlds and the bleak attempt of the star within to remain in touch with the outside world. Beautiful. Oscar winning, no less :)
  • The scene with KK and Farhan on the terrace. The effortlessness of the relationship between the two. It is so beautiful, simple and yet true. It might not give the less romantic their share of goose pimples but it's beautiful in it's own sense.
  • Rishi Kapoor is lovable as the santa claus like producer who sheds some very believable tears when the 'new-generation' makes him run around for elusive dates. Uncle Rishi is back to his Bobby days!
  • Dimple aunty is her magnificent self. She looks like a wretchedly beautiful evil mother of a Bollywood wannabe. And as Rishi Kapoor sums it aptly, "Crocodile in chiffon sari"...that by the way is my favorite line in the movie
  • The scene where Farhan cries after a fight with his friend. Man, what a relief!! Real men do cry. I most definitely intend to use this scene for future reference ;p
  • Farhan has so truly proved he is the 'thinking woman's actor'. He is not only their actor but their newest crush and the rising star...no beefcake looks, no stupid cheeky smiles, no greek God looks that put him in another world. Nothing else but the achievable smartness of the guy next door. That's Farhan for you. (If I were filling slam books today, he would all over them...hehe)
  • Isha Sharwani - now that woman dances like a dream. I am one of the few fortunate ones to have seen her dance in real life but in the movie, she is the effortless diva...atleast when it comes to her dancing. And she looks like a 'rose' in that romantic ballad...actually wait..she is supposed to be one there....true!
  • The scene with Dimple, Isha and Farhan at the breakfast table where Isha is at the receiving end for having 'puffy eyes' after her nightly encounter (secret rendezvous) with Farhan..and he quietly pulls up his shades. That is the new age Indian comedy and we don't need Govinda for screen space here.
  • The look on Hrithik's face at Kareena's party when he sees the rising star hogging the limelight. That apparent insecurity. The lurking fear. Beautiful. I'm just surprised he doesn't do more films. With those eyes, who needs him to talk??
  • The scene where Konkana wins the refrigerator after the slogan that Farhan wrote for her. And it's empty while she stares into it. So meaningful. It just doesn't get better.
  • Shah Rukh Khan..who needs an explanation here. In the one scene that he is there..he does a good job. Ok, i am partial but so what!!
  • 'You live in a cake'. I think the second most favorite line in the movie. Quite my style of humor..no silly jokes, no loud masala explanations.

And I think the best part of the movie is that it is as much Konkana's as Farhan's. No special sisterly love for the brother. It's balanced treatment is what sets it apart. Actually, I do secretly think, Konkana got the better part of the deal. But who's complaining??!!!

I am not!!

No comments: