Thursday, December 18, 2008

Is there something called Perfection

The race to perfection has no finish line.

Had this one very interesting discussion with Ankur (my dearest boss!!!) about whether perfection is attainable. In fact, whether perfection as an idea truly exists!!
Got us thinking.

Ankur: I don't think there is anything called perfection.
Me: I think there is. And it is a concept that exists in the absolute sense. And of course, it is ever evolving.
Well that formed the basis of a discussion that carried well beyond 2 hours. Fruitful utilization of a working day :)
So, like I said above, according to me, perfection is much more than just an idea. It is a pursuit. It is an ever evolving process, which is just as personal to someone as his/her likes or dislikes. Your idea of perfection need not resonate with mine. Your quest need not overlap mine. These can exist as parallel and also, in rare situations, converge. But this does not dilute the fact that perfection exists.

As an individual, I will always desire to learn more. I will continue to evolve. But in my current situation, given my limitations, I can desire to achieve perfection. And work well towards it. Now my idea of perfection may be above or below yours but that doesn't make it inferior or non existent. The want to be perfect is what drives humans to get better of themselves, to push the limits and challenge the boundaries. This urge to be the best that one can be is second nature to those who actually have made a mark in their lives. Because they don't rest on their laurels and know that they can give more to the situation, they achieve more. And this drive is mostly driven by the sub conscious.

So, while the discussion did not yield much in terms of a conclusion, I am convinced that my quest for perfection will not be in vain. And I know how to get to the finish line.

No comments: