Friday, December 12, 2008

PM says "I am Sorry"...

This day has to be historic!! The Parliament did not witness ugly scenes between the ruling party and the Opposition. Almost all who spoke, spoke in unison. Spoke against terror. And spoke against a certain not-so-friendly-neighbour. And I think, spoke for the common man. Just this one time maybe, but I am not letting my optimism subside.

While the PM can not say "Sorry" and shirk off what happened at Mumbai, what is really unique is that he said Sorry on national television. He accepted his mistakes and those of his government in safeguarding the country and its people, standing at the holiest ground of Indian democracy. He truly hailed the spirit of democracy.

But what really makes this day even more special is that the Opposition did not do a fist beating act during the session and extended full support to the government in combating terror and terrorism. This is a landmark day for India, not yet there as America getting Obama as a president but getting there. I am no fan of Indian politicians but when Mr Advani said, "We will support the government in all efforts to safeguard the country and its people.", I think he meant it. When Rahul Gandhi spoke about moving out of the 'laal batti' syndrome of security in India, it reeked of sincerity at some level. I might not have witnessed the greatness of my country through the walk in space but today I am indeed very very proud of what I saw. There is a faint hope that this country has a future, how bright I don't know. But I wish to. Finally, the last few weeks of cynicism and negativity seem to be ending. This is important for us and the society. We need to express our opinion but in ways that would invite some action, and not 'lipstick-powder' comments. We cannot allow to channelise our opinion, our action and our efforts in a negative way such that it rips apart the bare thread of democracy that this country stands on. The base that allows me to write what I want to, to say what I feel. The tool that lets me voice my anger, my anguish at the failure of my leaders to safeguard the lives of my brothers and sisters, and all this on a very public platform of the national television.

I am still clueless about what steps to take in the days ahead but I surely am a more aware citizen of this country. And I do hope that others like me take inspiration from late Major Unnikrishnan's father when he said after his son's death that 'he is not against the system. He strongly believes in the power of the system and knows that this country and its people will not let his son's sacrifice be forgotten.'

I am sure that I will not!!

2 comments:

Malesh Ponnusamy said...

Only if these words could translate into action it would be a lot better. Otherwise this just another landmark day. The landmark day arrives when action is taken, not spoken about:)

Satish Bhat said...

"There is a faint hope that this country has a future, how bright I don't know. But I wish to."

So aptly put! Even with a massive discounting of this sorry business, I hope that "this time its different" !