Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Play to the gallery Miss Mann

June 30, 1987 is not a day I am likely to forget in a hurry. It changed the course of my life. I was only about 3 years old to actually grasp the magnitude of what happened but now, it has begun to sink in. All these years (21 and a half) have passed by, shrouded either in ignorance or denial. But now, finally, I am beginning to accept that 'The Miss Mann' is an active and 'loud' part of my life. It's more like I have to. PHEW!!

Like every other 3 year old, I was a bundle of excitement (mmmm...maybe), apprehension (at the attention slipping away from me) and wonder (at my mom's changing appearance). I faintly recall my mom explaining to me what the fuss was all about and trying to infuse excitement about the impending arrival of a younger sibling. I don't know how I reacted then but looking at the years gone by, I would want to hit myself hard for having jumped with joy if I did :)

Anyhow, the day arrived. Like any lazy morning, I went about my day with nonchalance. And then... unknown to me, my life changed forever. I was taken to the hospital to see what the newest member of our family looked like. Well I hate to admit, but she was a beautiful chubby child (chubby is euphenised). And then began the story...

She was brought home in a special car and kept in an AC room (wow!!) while I am certain I must have been made to sweat it out (pun intended). The next few years saw a repeat of the above. Neha Varma (now who doesn't know her, my real sister Part 2) and I fought endlessly over who will play with Miss Mann. We went to the same school, where to much of my joy, most teachers knew her as my sister (grin grin). Then came the horrendous days. I think both of us fell just short of throwing each other out of the house...I don't know if all siblings go through this phase but we certainly did. Each of us would have a mini celebration when the other was away. I am sure she must have jumped the day I passed out of school. Clearly, we were never the best of friends. Anyhow, the days passed, the months did and finally the years.

And then finally, the ice broke. To cut the very long 21 years short, we finally share happily one room in the house, while she decides what bedsheets go up and the matching curtains, I take up the responsibility of keeping it clean [not quite my favorite job, but since she won't do it, I have to :)]. Finally, people don't know her just as my sister but as Mansukh Mann and/or Miss Mann (these people are few but they do great amount of good to her ego and some even know me as her sister and this could largely be attributed to be the reason behind her health). We (read SHE) make plans about movies (what else when she is involved), about our future and about food. She proposes and disposes plans for my wedding on an hourly basis. We love to constructively deconstruct people behind their backs. We even tend to play advocate for the other when mother dear makes unappetising food. We still pull each other's hair out while sharing clothes (mine mostly because she is too lazy to buy her own). And amidst all this nonsense, she occassionally surprises me with talk of wisdom.

And then it dawns upon me. Finally, I know that it is time for me to pass the mantle of being Miss Mann. Atleast I can't stake lone claim to it anymore. All I want to tell her is that I have loved this title more than anything. I have loved it every time when someone has called me Miss Mann either out of respect, envy or love. The name will continue to be a reflection of you but since you have done a fairly decent job with yourself, I am sure you will add color and vibrance to this tag as well. It brings with it immense amount of glamour (you will see), love and hatred in equal measure from the 'lesser few', responsibility (i would love to tell you that you have some really big shoes to fill :)) and lots of fun.

So play to the gallery Miss Mann and enjoy every moment of it.

And do get well soon!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awwwwwwwwww that was absolutely adorable Im all smiles after reading that. That was a really nice blog. Good job ruchi mann.
Btw I dint know you had a blog!!!

Ruchi Mann said...

@ mals:

well thank you Miss Varma. Very kind words, i truly appreciate :)
And yes, now that I have inspired you, go ahead, make one of your own...