Friday, December 19, 2008

Order Order!!!

Finally!!! There are some voices that say we have been wrong all through. There are some that say we did get carried away. And then there are some which say that absolutely nothing is wrong!!

Finally, all these voices have been heard. And it has been ruled that the Indian media must maintain 'order order'. The court ruling today which suggests that the Indian media were fairly off the mark while covering the Mumbai attacks seems vindicating for many of us. For me at least they do. And I am not a cynic. I am not against the power of the media. For a one-time wannabe journalist, I am most certainly not any of the above. But yes, I do believe in self regulation. And if that is not forthcoming, well then, let's go and regulate them. I do believe that families and little children need not be shown the horrendous image of a blood laced face or body. I do believe that we can be spared the blame and counter blame, specially when the attack on our sovereignty is still on.

So, while the debate continues about what is right and wrong, I think it is time we take an unbiased stand and decide on what we need v/s what we want. Sensationalism is a want. Information is a need. Nee, balanced information is a need. And I do hope that with today's ruling, it becomes more effective. I do hope that after this, there is 'some semblance of sense' in how we project ourselves and our country.

The choice is clear; between blood thirsty hounds or responsible journalists.

1 comment:

Arpit Higgins said...

We lawyers... Hee hee hee... ;-)