Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Of those who made a mark

In almost 25 years since I came on this planet, I have met a lot of people. In school, college, during Post graduation in Pune, work and outside of these places. But when I look back, there are a few people that I think have actually had a big hand in shaping me as the person that I am today, professionally and personally. So I decided to write down this post about those few who have made a mark for life.
I don't know how many would be there in this finally but I do know that I am excluding some people from this list (mom, dad, mansukh, cousins and other relatives and blob) for reasons of bias.

So here goes:
  • Fr. J A Carvalho: He was my Principal in school. For those 13 years that I was there, he went from being a terror to actually being a great friend and guide. In my junior classes, I was like really really scared of him and would run in the opposite direction when I saw him. However, as I came to senior school, I saw a very different side of him. He started treating us more like equals and not children. He would come and sit with us. We could talk to him about anything. He would pull a leg and was always ready with a joke or two. He knew almost all students by their name and their parents too. In my case, my mom would change her decision about me if it clashed with his because she was sooo sure that he would make the best decisions for both me and my sister. We have stolen innumerable After 8s from his office and he would just give a knowing smile each time. He has counseled me on many a personal issue, which of course I didnot understand then but when I look back today, I do. He was the one who forcibly sent me on stage and actually got that dread out of me. I haven't met him in the last 6-7 years but he has stayed with me forever and I am certain he always will.
  • Ma'am Jacob: My English teacher in many a class. Not only did she make me love this subject, she made me admire her too. Never one to mince her words, she taught me (quite unknowingly) how never to take s*** lying down. She taught me how never to be a doormat. She would never mince her words and called a spade a spade, even in front of the Principal. I picked this up from her.
  • Sandy: Now now. I have known the boy for over 16 years now. We never were the best of friends in school but I have seen his journey from being a reckless nut to the School Headboy to his Merchant Navy days and now a very loving husband-to-be (Gauri, you are really damn lucky). And through all this, he has been a very very dear friend. I know I can just call him up anytime and he will be there. He can bring a smile to my face in the most dreadful situations with his heartfelt mails that he writes from different corners of the world and with his very very few gifts that he has got for me after all his travels. He probably is the only guy who gives some pretty amazing marriage pep talk (to me atleast)!!Don't think I will ever say this to him on his face coz I am extremely concerned about his ego touching the sky but still sandy boy, you deserve every bit of what I wrote.
  • Garima Sharma: Met her during college. The one reason I absolutely adore the girl is her attitude and her general love for mankind (and animal kind too). She has shared many a missed bus with me in college and many a gol gappa too. She is just so forgiving and loving that I would love to pick this trait of hers (I don't think I ever can, but still). And most of all she is damn chilled out. She will surely teach you a thing or two about life in her own charming manner. And the best thing is, she will cap it with a smile. I haven't been in touch with her in a very long time but again, she is someone I don't think I can ever forget (also because her birthday is one day before mine)
  • Sukrit Singh: Probably the most unlikely name in this list. But, he absolutely deserves to be here. He was the CEO of the company I worked in for a very brief period. And why he gets a mention here is....I have never seen the CEO walk upto an intern and introduce himself as the official chef and take his role very seriously at that. He will talk to an office boy just like he will talk to a Senior Manager. Well, he didn't teach me a lot about office ethics but yes, he did teach me a lot about work, creativity and what not. And most importantly, he taught me never to let work become bigger than any person (I am yet to completely follow this advice but still...)

Well, these are the people who have in many ways decided the course of my life. I respect them all and I think I will always continue to do so. And here, today, I want to thank them for introducing me to myself. I am sure I will never forget many a lesson that you have taught me, unknowingly most of the times.

Thanks a lot in every possible way.


6 comments:

Happy "TODAY"! said...

:-( You missed me:-(
I'm sure you learnt sonething..atleast one thing from me too..even if it was just solving a mixed fraction. Come on you owe some credit!!

Ruchi Mann said...

Obviously, you will never learn to read the entire post. I said I was excluding you from the list!!!! Read the post first..

Elithraniel Arawion said...

awwww all of hav those few ppl who we 'll always remember even if we are not a part of their livse anymore.. sweet post :)

Mayank said...

what is an After 8?

Ruchi Mann said...

@Dum D:
After 8 is a very famous mint chocolate. Must have. Specially the After 8 thins...amazing...mmmmmm

Ruchi Mann said...

@ Elithraniel Arawion:
Thnaks a ton. Have been following your blog for sometime now. Good stuff!!