Monday, January 5, 2009

To Sir, with Love


I finally watched the movie. And it was a tad disappointing. I mean I had cried when I had read that book and was certain the movie would be just as great.

It was great alright. But pales in comparison to the book. For those amongst us who think celluloid can never do justice to the words immortalized on yellowing pages, I would disagree (LOTR is a masterpiece as much in motion as in words). So, when we have Sidney Poitier, the expectations are bound to be high. And there lies the trap!!

However, to be fair to Mr Clavell (Director and Producer), it was definitely far better than most other movies from that period (1967). The scenes were not choppy and it didn't stretch into years. If you ask any child fed on razor fine editing of the movies in late 1990s and 21st century, you are opening a Pandora's Box there. But compared to that time, it was great. Crisp. To the Point and yet not choppy. Poitier was great and looked rather handsome compared to other boys (who looked nothing less than cartoons in front of our man). The women were great. But what was absolutely a treat was Lulu. The song, the skirts and the hair. Mind blowing.


Actually, as an after thought, it wasn't that bad after all if you remove the glitz of what the movies in later years have fed us. It was grounded, real, resonant of those times and in many a way path breaking. A black teacher in an all white school. The new grounds of student - teacher relationship. The accidental inspirational leadership. The anguish on Thackeray's face when the girls burn a sanitary napkin in his class and his subsequent loss of composure. Thackeray's handling of questions on black women dancing naked and his composure. His unstated resolve to upstage racial scorn and discrimination. Amazing.

But what absolutely stood out for me was the title track. But before that, a quick capture of else worked wonders for the movie, a few dialogues that I loved.
  • A fellow teacher, to Thackeray: Ah, so you're the new lamb for the slaughter - or should I say, black sheep?
  • Denham: You was wrong about Potts.
    Thackeray: Yes ... from his point of view, at his age ... I was.
    Denham: The girls was right about the gossip, and all.
    Thackeray: From their point of view.
    Denham: Well, what other point is there, eh?
    Thackeray: You're going to have to figure that one out for yourself, Denham.

And now for Lulu and those oh-so-magical words:

Those schoolgirl days,
of telling tales and biting nails are gone,
But in my mind,
I know they will still live on and on,
But how do you thank someone,
who has taken you from crayons to perfume?

It isn't easy, but I'll try,
If you wanted the sky I would write across the sky in letters,
That would soar a thousand feet high,
To Sir, with Love

The time has come,
For closing books and long last looks must end,
And as I leave,
I know that I am leaving my best friend,
A friend who taught me right from wrong,
And weak from strong,
That's a lot to learn,
What, what can I give you in return?

If you wanted the moon I would try to make a start,
But I, would rather you let me give my heart,
To Sir, with Love

And just for this moment I let my prejudices die and be taken over by the beauty of her voice. Do I recommend this movie. You bet. I do!! It is a masterpiece. Okay, not really in the LOTR league for it's cinematic excellence but for the sheer beauty of the thought that envelopes the entire movie. So overlook your disappointments (As I did) and enjoy the movie.

In one word, amazing. Watch it.

No comments: